Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Home at Last!!!

So ViviAnne was released yesterday at 2PM. Her counts FINALLY came up and the potty issues have dramatically decreased. The last 24 hours were very tense. Her ANC was still nothing and her WBC was right at normal so Dr. Ayyanar did a lab test that would check her white blood cells for any Leukemia cells. If there were cancer cells she would then do a Bone Marrow biopsy to check for full relapse. Needless to say we were all VERY scared. But thankfully the lab results came back negative for cancer cells which meant NO RELAPSE!!! And ViviAnne was sooo tired of doing the nightly shots and the doctor determined that she could be completely done with the shots. Another good thing. So we are home! She is settling in okay, it is always an adjustment to be back home and having to share attention with a sibling.

ViviAnne said more than once that she wished I had not taken her to the hospital. She would scream and yell about the shots and say things like, "Mommy, tell them to take my port out I want to go home!" or "Why did you bring me here?!" It was heart wrenching. I explained when we were home that I did not want to take her to the hospital but that she was very sick on the inside and the hospital was the only place that could make her well. She just gets quiet when I tell her things like that. She had a lot of anger this time. And rightfully so.

Her hair is falling out still. She told me last night that she was sad her hair was falling out. I asked her tonight how she felt and she said mad and sad. When I asked why she said "because I won't be pretty any more with a bald head." I assured her that she is beautiful with or without hair. She has a TON of hair to begin with so even with it falling out by the handful she still looks like she just has thin hair. We'll see if it slows down this week. I hate it for her. She is so sad and upset about it.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes the past week.

We will go back to the clinic on Thursday to make sure her counts are holding and she is not in need of another transfusion. For now we are happy to sleep in our own beds, to not be stuck with needles and to be with Daddy and Cooper.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We are glad to see you home, we have been praying non-stop for you all. hope to see you soon.
& and HEY! bald is awesome!!LOL!
Love \Chris,Amy & Jesse

Michelle said...

Hope things will cont. to go in the right direction. love and miss you. talk soon.
MM

Anonymous said...

you guys are so strong! heart wrenching...like you said...soooo glad you guys are home! we continue to keep you guys in our prayers! i think of vivianne when i am having a bad day...she is a trouper & helps me & others with her struggle in ways she does not even know!oxoxoxooxox jenni arnold

Kim Brown said...

Just popped in to check on y'all and didn't realize you'd had such a hard time of it lately. I'm so sorry to hear about the bout of C-Diff - it's NOT FUN!! Bless her heart for having to deal with all of this stuff. Emma will agree that Flagyl is disgusting. I honestly don't know how these kids manage it day in and day out (or us parents for that matter!). But I'm glad to hear she remains cancer-free and that she is continuing to improve.