Saturday, April 24, 2010

Good Day...

Well, today was a good day. She is still not eating but her fevers seem to be gone and her potty issues are decreasing. She was in good spirits all day and laughed and smiled a lot. They had to de-access her port and then re do it. Simply a 7 day procedure thing. So while she was unhooked I washed her hair and let her dance around the room. And when the nurse accessed her port she did pretty good. ViviAnne told me, "they can't do it here. I'm really scared". A lot of times it takes multiple sticks and nurses in the hospital to access her port. Come to find out they don't hold onto it tight enough. But today I warned the nurse about her wiggly port and said to just hang on to it and all will be fine. And I was right. ViviAnne was glad that she got it in one stick, me too.

Her ANC is only 50 and her HGB is dropping but not too bad or too fast so we will see if it can just hold on and level off. Her platelets are still low, but they are the last cells to fully recover so we will have to watch them. BUT the good news is her bone marrow has a .1 increase in function!! YAY!! We'll take it. Or maybe it was .2 and her White Blood cell count was a .1 increase?. Either way it appears as though the bone marrow is starting to work again. She has the workings of Pre Cells in there and that is good. Her numbers are far from normal but bone marrow is not repaired in a day. Dr.Ayyanar was hopeful and optimistic that if her fevers stay gone and she starts to eat AND her counts come up and stay up then she can be released as early as Sunday!! So, we will see what Saturday and Sunday labs bring.

Now, with all this goodness there are 2 disturbing things to report. One, her hair is falling out in CLUMPS!! It is just like it was when she went completely bald. We'll see if it slows down tomorrow but it was BAD today. Her hair is shorter and much thinner than it was yesterday. Two, if she goes home on Sunday chances are I will have to give her her shots at home. YIKES! I am not afraid of needles but I'm Mommy. I'm supposed to be holding her hand during the shot, not giving it. SO, we'll see what happens there. Maybe her hair will not go completely out this time and maybe I won't have to give shots. We can always hope.

Thanks for all the prayers. I am always blown away but the out pouring of prayers for our family and little girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen - mom just showed me this blog. We are praying for you and ViviAnne and your whole family daily. You are an awesome mom with so much strength. You amaze me...
Alysha Saneholtz

bmruk said...

Kristen,
It sounds like things are starting to improve! I can't believe what that little angel deals with daily. Please tell her that all of her friends in Pre-K are praying for her and love her. Your strength through all of this is amazing. Our prayers are with all of you.
Ms. Barbara