Friday, February 20, 2009

Treatment and Preschool

Last Friday ViviAnne went to the clinic for a Vinchristine IV Push and started another 5 day pulse of steroids. She also had a cold but the doctor said her lungs sound fine so as long as she remains the same and progresses to recover in the next 2 weeks everything will be fine. But all of that left her feeling VERY tired all weekend and rather cranky. SO we only went to the YMCA on Saturday and then the rest of the weekend she stayed low key.

She is off steroids now. The food craving this time was Peanut Butter and Jelly with no crusts cut into triangles. Easy enough! But today will be the last day I allow her to only eat that! Her belly is hurting tonight and she is having a little constipation but I think we are ahead of it so it shouldn't get as bad as it has in the past.

Cooper is terribly sick. I took him to the doctor yesterday and he said it looks like RSV. Which both kids had last winter and Cooper did breathing treatments for but this year he isn't as bad, largely due to his age. SO it is just a very bad cold. Which he has proceeded to give BACK to me. The three of us, ViviAnne, Cooper and myself, have the exact same sounding cough that is more annoying than anything else.

I kept Cooper home from Mother's Day Out but allowed ViviAnne to go (we call it her preschool) and I got the BEST report on her today. Her teacher called her "a ray of sunshine for the other little girls in the class". Apparently she gets all the little girls playing together even the one little girl who is incredibly shy will interact with ViviAnne! How great is that? She orchestrates the play group and they all are just drawn to her. I was afraid it would be the opposite since she is bald so this just made me light up inside. It also made me feel like ViviAnne really is the sweet girl I always knew she could be. And a leader.

Then on the the way out the music lady said ViviAnne learned all 3 songs and the dance moves in just the 3 weeks she has been attending and that now kids who used to not sing and dance do b/c the just follow ViviAnne. Also, she is the loudest singer (shocker!) but she did say ViviAnne dances to the beat very well.

I was so overcome with joy when I left preschool today. Knowing that I have stories that are "normal" three year old stories to share and not what has been the normal story for us with her, which is "she is so brave! she doesn't even cry when they stick her finger!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My eyes are tearing up at the thought of your little 'leader!' I think kids this age don't really see differences as much as older kids might. So the bald kid has as much a chance as anyone of being the cool kid in class! On top of that, they gain so much confidence through their experience at the hospital. They think they run the world...what's a group of classmates compared to that??

Sorry to hear Cooper's sick too. I don't know how you do it with two kids! I have a tough enough time with one sick kid. And I'm green with envy that ViviAnne is well enough to go to school! We've spent two weeks holed up in the house with low counts. Oh well, it happens from time to time.

Love the pics too! Cute hat!

Kim Brown (Emma Grace's mom)
Memphis, TN