Wednesday, March 23, 2011

So, I guess I'm gonna keep going

Well, I have had a couple of people request I continue this blog. And after some thought I've decided to do it. As long as I can think it is worth it. I kinda felt like it would be me just talking for the sake of talking BUT I think, like my dear friend pointed out, that people who are in the storm of Cancer might find some little nugget of hope from seeing a family struggling but doing it AFTER Cancer.

Because like I've said, this is a NEW life. There is no going back to the way it was. And honestly, I don't think I'd want to. NEVER thought I'd say that!! Don't get me wrong I am not at all saying I am thankful for Viv's cancer diagnosis, because I AM NOT, but the things I have learned and gained from it I am thankful for. Example A, I have a pretty no nonsense approach to Doctors and Hospitals and Insurance now. Lets lay it all out there and deal with it and talk to me like I have a brain cause I do!! Example B, last week Viv broke her arm. I know, I know you're thinking WHAT?!?! But really I was not at all phased by this. I did not get angry, anxious, worried nothing. It was almost like I felt NOTHING. I mean of course I felt bad for her for being in pain and that she has to be in a cast for 5 weeks but other than that I was good. Okay, I'll tell you what happened. She was at my Mother and Father in laws' house and they have a patch of woods on their property. Well, our "little ballerina" was walking across a log, as to not be out done by her little bother, and she fell. She fell and hit her arm on the ground. But first and foremost she fell in the mud! She was most upset about the mud! When Kim, my mother in law, called me to tell me that Viv had hurt her arm I could hear Viv crying but still the mud was a BIG issue. I arrived to find Viv sitting in Grandma's lap all clean and she said through her tears, "I got MUD in my pretty hair! It was disgusting!" To which I said, "I'm sorry. Did you hurt your arm?" "yeah, I think I broke my arm, Mommy." She too was very matter of fact about it. True she was crying but she was fine. By the time I got her to the ER she was in no tears and never cried again. They hooked her up with Toy Story 3 and she was good. The nurses kept telling me how good and easy she is. To which I said, "She is a Cancer Survivor." So yeah she is good and easy in the hospital, it was a second home! BUT neither she nor I got really flustered or upset. Whatever, she broke her arm. Stick a cast on her and we're good. I can do broken arms. Heck, I can DO cancer. I'll choose broken arm but whatever! So she is sporting a Hot Pink with Purple sparkles cast. Because every girl needs some bling!!!

Brent still got upset that she broke her arm. He kinda went to the same angry spot I've seen him go to in the past 3 years. Now, this is not b/c Brent is an out of control person. It is because Brent HATES to see his children get hurt!! Hates it so much that he/we hover over of them A LOT!!! But he did not stay in this angry mode, which is good. Because it has taken us MONTHS to get out of that mode. But that is another post all together. Probably more than one post!

So we are doing good. Enjoying our crazy Spring weather even with the allergies and finding our way as a family.

If I can figure out how to get the pics of Viv and her cast off of my phone and on to here I will. No promises on that one!

No comments: