Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bump in the Road

Written by Kristen

A Bump in the Road
So last week on Thursday Cooper had a 12 hour stomach bug. I was hoping it would miss everyone. Monday early ViviAnne threw up. But only once. Then when she woke up from a nap she had a fever of 101.5. So I let her just hang out for a bit and took her temp periodically to see if it would come down on its own. She has done that in the past. Spike a fever and then it breaks all by itself. But after a couple of hours this did not happen. I called the Doctor and was told to take her to the hospital. We got here around 6:30PM. Her fever was gone by the time we arrived. Of course! But it spiked back up around 9ish and then again around 4AM. So we have been here for going on 48 hours.

She has really been okay today. Her HGB is right around 10 which is anemic but not low enough to transfuse. Her platelets are 230 but her ANC was over 9,000 when we were admitted. It has steadly come down through the course of the stay but considering it is still high they want to play it safe and keep her here while they wait to see if her 48 hour blood cultures come back negative. She has been fever free for over 24 hours as of now and so we wait.

She keeps teetering back and forth between being in good spirits and being down right hateful! Her biggest beef with today is she has missed her PJ Party at school today. She woke up and said, "Okay, Mom, tell them I am ready to leave cause if we go now I can still make it to my party". I told her it does not work that way here and she got all teary and started fussing at me that she was ready to get outta here. I can't blame her. She knows that she is missing out on fun things while she is in here. And she is bummed.

I am going to take her to Art Therapy here in a bit. We'll see how that goes. She keeps calling it Art Class. We'll go with that. Sounds better. Maybe they can get her to express why she is always so angry and argumentative with me. Then again, maybe I don't want to know. Kidding, I want to know.

Oh yeah! They are delaying her last Vincristine push and steroid round till next week. Which is fine. No steroids this weekend is fine by me. I am used to plans getting changed and schedules getting thrown off. It is life. You can either fight it or roll with it. I have chosen to roll with it. Getting all worked up does not help things.

I have also found a very firm sense in "This doesn't work for us but this does" and then going with that. It is my life and my kids and husbands life. We have to live them the way that we are called to live them. Not a way that makes other people comfortable but a way that God has asked us to live. And if that means saying No to things even when it would be easier to say Yes that is what I am doing. Finding my voice, I guess you would say. Now, I do need to work hard on the volume of my voice from time to time but our lives are all a process and God isn't done with me yet.

So our bump in the road has been just that. Just a little time in Hotel Kosairs. They are good to us. Oh and if you were wondering, even if this happened next week or next month the same thing would have occurred. Fevers within the first 6 months after treatment land you right back in the hospital. Come March I'll have to figure out how to care for a sick child and NOT bring them to the hospital.

Thanks for the prayers and support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Viv is so amazing!!! and you guys are such strong wonderful ppl!! we take little things like missing pj day for granted and i got so choked up when she got mad about missing it. as mom's we def. get to be our kids punching bags for their fears, frustrations and angers...so tough...but we are also usually the first person our kiddos run to with their joys, secrets, kisses and hugs too! you are a super awesome mom and i admire you so much for all that you deal with!!! you and viv really remind me how lucky i am to have healthy kids and to not forget the little ones that are not....love you all!!! jenni a.