Friday, January 16, 2009

Maintenance

Well we went to the clinic today to begin maintenance. And she did even though her ANC is 850. That is high enough to press on with chemo. She did well. We were able to see Jessi, a young 11 year old boy who was diagnosed within a week of ViviAnne. He is the kindest most gentle boy with her. While other 11 year old boys would not give her a second thought he lets her play on his video games and laughs with her a lot. He is too much. And ViviAnne adores him. So that was her highlight of the week, I'm sure!

After her Vinchristine push at clinic we headed over to the hospital to do her spinal tap. After 3 needles and about 7-8 sticks her spinal fluid would not flow and so Dr. B was not able to perform her chemo or send fluid off to pathology. We are scheduled to back Thursday of next week to try again. I asked, "what does this mean?" and he responded, "Nothing. It is not good or bad it just is." So that eased my mind some. I've been watching her pretty closely to make sure the multiple sticks aren't hurting her tonight. She seems to be okay. A bit dizzy when we left the hospital but after a nap that too passed.

When I went to pick up her MANY prescriptions today with very specific instructions with each drug the young female pharmacist came over to the counter to talk with me. She said that if this was her daughter and she was picking up all these drugs with this detailed of instructions that she would be over whelmed. I had already gone to my Mom's and gone over each prescription and wrote them down in a notebook. I took my notebook out at the pharmacy to double and triple check the drugs. The pharmacists said, "wow, you've got this down." And I responded, "I'd better. It is her life for the next 2 years." She started to tear up. You know it is bad when your pharmacists admitts it is overwhelming. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

2 comments:

Erica Tingle said...

These next 2 years will fly by and you'll wonder how you ever made it through them. You're so strong Kristen, keep up the good work (you too Brent). ViviAnne's in our prayers like always! Hugs and kisses to the kidos :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi its me again from across the pond in England been a bit poorly myself so have only just caught up with all your news which sounds a bit of a mixed bag ...some good , some not so good .I loved your Christmas photos of the children and hope tha you had an ok time over the festivities. I was very interested to read your thoughts about Mary and have to agree with them. I hope so much that the next few weeks will not be traumatic for you, Brent and ViviAnne please take care of each other with good wishes from Viviannexxx